Sunday 6 March 2011

Tues 1st March 2011 - Let's Play a Game of Catch! ......

So when my instructor arrived this morning he found my still out in the paddock trying to catch my mare. She had run at me, tried to kick me, and tried to bite me every time I tried to go near her to catch her....ho hum....

I knew that if I got a bucket of pony nuts I could probably catch her but as she has been so nippy lately I didn't want to use food to get her in. So my instructor and I decided to just try and get her to come to us by walking around the field, making up jobs to do, and completely ignoring her. She eventually came up to us after about an hour and I just rubbed her and walked off, purposely not catching her. We did the same for another 40 mins and again she came near us. This time we did put her headcollar on but agreed that we wouldn't work her that day, Instead, we took her in and gave her some pony nuts and a love, and then turned her back out again.

Over the next couple of weeks we're going to do this every day, i.e. bring her in once in the day and aske nothing of her, just give her a treat. But we will be leaving her headcollar on when turned out to start with !!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    Just to let you know the article has been posted, check out http://www.horsehero.com/editorial/?feat=63015
    Hope the catching goes well.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete