Monday 31 January 2011

Thursday 27th Jan 2011 - Learning to Lunge

Well, today has been really interesting as my instructor has been teaching me how to lunge. The part that I found the biggest challenge was using my body language to back up my voice to ask her to move forward/slow down. My instructor demonstrated to me how he could aske her to walk, trot, walk and halt without using his voice at all but by thinking what he wanted her to do and using his body language and energy to convey that message to her.

My dream/goal that I set myself on the confidence course was to become the owner my horse would choose, a phrase coined by Kelly Marks, and one that I aspire to. Bearing this in mind, lungeing seems like a pretty good skill to acquire to help me achieve this goal as it is making me look at another way to communicate with my horse.

I started to get the hang of it after half an hour or so, and then rode her whilst my instructor lunged, and practised all the technical basics like hand and leg positions, shoulders, etc, and she was good as gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment